Monday, November 20, 2006

A "Hungary" Desire

I had to go to Budapest, Hungary. My great-grandmother was born in Mischendorf, Hungary. Though it doesn't exist in Hungary anymore, visiting her home country meant more to me than visiting any other place. I felt when I got there a certain connection that I hadn't felt anywhere else. It was as if I my great-grandmother was there with me. During my trip to Hungary, I had the chance to attend church on Easter Sunday. Though the mass was said in Hungarian, I ironically understood every part of it. I even lit a candle for my great-grandmother who passed away when I was young. I know she would have loved the fact that I went to Hungary in memory of her. I included a picture of the gorgeous church we went to for mass. I also included a picture of my feet on top of a road cap labeled Budapest. For some reason, I felt it reflected my journey across the world, into Europe and into the discovery of my past. Of my evolution. Having my feet there also depicted that I was THERE. That I stepped into the home country of my relatives and continued my great-grandmother's memory.


At the end of our Hungary excursion, a few of us took a night time walk around Buda and Pest, which are separated by glowing bridges (at night!). It was one of the best moments of my life. I remember sitting atop one of the open castles and looking out over the Seine River and the bridges. It was almost hard to believe my great-grandmother had been born in this very place. I felt a sense of pride and loyalty at that moment. It was a night I would remember for the rest of my life.

No comments: